From a cosmetic remodel to a major renovation, a home exterior makeover of any scale will have a positive impact on your home’s curb appeal and resale value. But where do you start? Answer these three important questions and you will be on your way to a makeover that will make improve the look and feel of your home.
Why are You Remodeling?
Are you moving soon or do you plan on living in your home for another decade? If you’re selling the house, then the home improvements you make will be for prospective buyers (impersonal). But if you’re planning on staying a while, then the home exterior remodel will be for you and your family (personal).
Decide how much you want to spend on your home exterior renovations. It might seem like putting the cart before the horse, because how do you know what it will cost until you decide what you want? However, a budget will keep you on track and help you to define what’s important now and what can wait until next year. Don’t forget to identify what you will be doing yourself and the projects you will be hiring a contractor to do.
What Scale of Renovation?
Exterior home improvements can range from a cosmetic makeover to a medium remodel to a major renovation. You probably won’t want to embark on a major renovation if you plan on selling. Define what scale of renovation is needed to accomplish your remodeling goals.
A cosmetic makeover would include projects such as:
- repairing and repainting woodwork – soffit, fascia, window trim, the front door
- improving the landscaping
- redoing the driveway
- adding outdoor lighting
A medium remodel would involve:
- replacing doors and windows
- installing new gutters and downspouts
- redoing or adding siding
- adding features – dormers, porch, deck-patio doors combo
A major renovation would entail:
- replacing the roof – a different colour can totally change the appearance of a home’s exterior
- redesigning the front of your home – removing/improving the front porch, installing a different style of window
- adding on to the home – additional bedrooms, home theatre, attached garage